Friday, November 6, 2020

#fofriday Hearth Socks

 

Recently on a Friday, for #fofriday on Instagram, @ggmadeit posted a blog post that detailed her finished project that week. I thought that was a really neat idea and thought I’d try it myself. I’m not going to do it for all of my finished projects, just the ones that I really enjoy, feel like are an accomplishment or those that I modified.

 

This is my first installment of recording an #fofriday this way.

I made the Hearth Socks by DanaRaeMakes. The pattern is available on Ravelry.

 

I watched these socks on Instagram for a while waiting for them to come out. I knew immediately which yarn I would use for them. I had a sock set in stash from Leading Men Fiber Arts from June 2019. It is the “he will have his revenge” sock set with the contrast color being "poison apple".

 

I was also planning on taking part in the #fallingleavessockkal2020 and these socks fit the bill. For the KAL the socks have to be fall colors or some how speak of fall. The Revenge color way has a gray base and the hearth pattern with the gray looks like a stone fire place, a warm place for fall.

 

The yarn is like I said from Leading Men Fiber Arts, in their Show Stopper base and the “he will have his revenge” colorway, with a “poison apple” mini.  The Show Stopper base is a 75% super wash merino and 25% nylon blend.  I use this yarn often for socks.  I do put them in both the washer and the dryer.  They come out great every time.

 

I have recently learned that I like the look and feel of a 3 x 2 rib. I knit socks using the same needle size and similar yarn weight when I knit socks for me. It makes it easy and not too much thinking. I just add in the pattern from the design I have chosen. A few weeks ago on Patreon where I follow The Yarn Harlot and Franklin Habit, I learned that when choosing a ribbing and sock pattern to look ahead and make them flow together, I did so. 

 

Here are the changes I made.

 

I cast on 75 stitches and worked 12 rounds of ribbing. Using a mini for cuffs, heels and toes it takes just a bit more than the 20g in a mini to do that, so I kept the cuff ribbing short.

 

I then shifted the pattern so that the slip stitches were in the center of my 3 knit stitches from the rib.

 


Then I was off and knitting. I’m a mirror knitter and sometimes things can get interesting and confusing. Thankfully that didn’t happen with this pattern. By happy accident, when I finished my heel flap, the place where I usually pick up an extra stitch close the hole on each side of the foot, was a slip stitch. I am very pleased with how this turned out.

 


Dana has the back of the heel to be very pointy. Honestly I don’t like the look. I finished the first heel and had worked a few rounds on the foot, saw how pointy it was and said I wasn’t going to do the other one that way. When I finished the sock, I was at Mom’s. I showed her how pointy the heel was. I then put the sock on... I made the second sock the same way. While the look off the foot is odd, the fit is great! I will be doing this for future socks.

 


 

This is the first sock where I have worked the decreases on the gusset so that the decrease lines can be seen. I have asked a company about making stitch markers that indicate which decrease to use, so that I can then place the marker on the side that needs that decrease.

 


 


 

My last round before the toe I chose to work as plain knit in the main color.

 

 

I did run just a bit short on the 2nd sock. My friend and neighbor, @coffeenapknit rescued me. She had a mini and I borrowed, used what I needed and then returned it.

 

I am very pleased with these finished socks and their fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment