Monday, September 30, 2019

To the Mattress!

Greetings!  It is finally fall here on the eastern plains of Colorado.  The nights are getting to be chilly and the days are cooler, most of the time.  Still a mid or high 80F here and there...
Fall is my favorite season; the crunchy leaves, all the different colors of grasses, fire pits and of course pumpkin everything.  I hope that whatever season you are currently you can see joy in something.

This last week I finished my Journey to the Cape sweater, from BohoChic Fiber Arts.  I worked it in two differnet colors because that was what I had in worsted weight yarn.  I didn't put any thought into which color would be the back and which would be the front.  I am very pleased with how it ended up though.  I'm not so sure that the cables would have shown up as nicely in the darker orange.
I don't have many new pictures to share as it was just removed from the bath for blocking this morning.

I do want to share with you the joining technique that I used to join the front to the back, it is called the mattress stitch; but first let me update you on my projects and what I've been up to.

I didn't post last week as there just wasn't much to share in the way of projects.  I did go to Schacht Spindle Company's 50th anniversary in Boulder, Colorado.  Carl and I had a great time there.  We shopped, volunteered and ate.  The weather was sunny and not too hot.  It was a wonderful day outside.  We met the owners, Berry and Jane and their daughter Nora.  The entire family and staff were very welcoming.  Anne Merrow and Elizabeth Prose from Long Thread Media were there, as well as Linda Ligon with Thrums books.  Carl surprised me with a new bag from Hummingbird Moon and I bought a braid of the Berries Julbilee from Sweet Georgia.



The other items in the pictures are fiber to dye for a prize for Spin Together 2019, a back strap loom with a partial project from Cloth Roads and a new children's book about fiber.


That same weekend was the Art Walk in down town Longmont, Colorado, which isn't far from Boulder.  Carl and I stayed the night in Longmont to participate in the Art Walk the next day.  Before going to the art walk we walked around the farmer's market at the Boulder county fair grounds.  We bought a pint of ghost peppers and some green tomatoes for frying.  Carl has since dried the ghost peppers in the dehydrator in the garage.  The smell was too much to do it in the house.  For lunch we went to our favorite diner, Aunt Alice's near 17th and Main.  Longmont Yarn Shoppe hosted the faster knitter and crocheter contest for Boulder county.  I only participated in the knit part and won first place.  Then we did a fashion show.  It was a lot of fun!  We did all of this right in the middle of Main Street.







I have been hard at work on my Journey sweater so that I could take it to Stitches Salt Lake; more on that in a minute.  I have also gone back to working on my Love you too socks.  I have finished one and am about a third of the way through the 2nd.  I am hoping to wear them, with the sweater and a skirt I sewed at the fashion show in Salt Lake on Friday night.  I have nearly finished Dolores' new outfit for Salt Lake as well.




Stitches Salt Lake is going to be many firsts for me; my first time on a plane, first time traveling alone and my first Franklin Habit class.  I am really excited about this trip!  I leave on Wednesday afternoon.  I am staying in the Little America hotel.  I know nothing about it, only that it is a half mile walk to the Salt Palace Convention Center where Stitches is happening.  I am taking two classes with Franklin; Tessellations and Steek and Zip.  I am very excited for both classes.  I haven't finished my homework for Steek and Zip yet but will in time for class on Saturday.  Thursday night is the vendor and designer fashion show and a PJ party.  Friday night is the student fashion show and banquet.  This is going to be a great week!  I will share pictures in 2 weeks.


Now for the mattress stitch technique.  I used this stitch when finishing the Scrappy Knit Pillow, but had to go look it up again to see exactly how it is done.  I found this site, took a couple of screen shots and was on my way again.  When I did it on the pillow I followed exactly what the directions said.  This time I was curious what would happen if I did it in the middle of a stitch.  This sweater has a two stitch selvedge; the very edge stitch is garter and the other stitch is stockinette.  I decided to join the front and the back of the sweater using the mattress stitch in the middle of the stockinette stitches.

Here is what happened.


I actually screamed when I snugged up those stitches and got this amazing seam.  I will share a couple more photos and the basics of how I did this here.  On Friday I will share video on IG in my stories and then archive it so it'll be there for later viewing.



Here I have used the bar in the center of each V to sew the pieces together.



Here is a shot of each side of the selvedge stitches.

Next post will be in two weeks with finished photos on this sweater and pictures from Stitches Salt Lake.  If you don't want to wait check out Azariahs1982 on IG as I will be posting there at least daily.

Happy making!
And happy fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment