Thursday, July 2, 2020

Switch when 2 or more

This is the first from last KAL that I worked on during quarantine.

Mom and I have been working on these mystery shawls from Stunning String together.  This one we didn't get to cast on together because of the lock down.  I cast mine on in the back yard all by myself.


This one is called Family Tree.  It has lots of cables and is worked in DK weight yarn; Stunning Strings Studio Dynamic.  Mom and I chose to do the smallest size which comes out to be an overgrown scarf.  We were each sent 2 hanks of yarn in our color choice.  I chose a blue and Mom a green.

From the beginning I decided to alternate my balls of yarn.  Stunning String is an indie dyer out of Illinois.  When working with yarn of the same color from an indie dyer it is suggested to alternate between skeins if you are using 2 or more skeins of the same color in a project.  Mom worked through skein 1 and then went into skein 2.  Below are our finished pieces and difference that made.


This is Mom's scarf.  You can clearly see the line of the skein change, no it is not the lighting.


Here is mine.  The color differences are there, but a more even.

I put up a new video on YouTube today about working with multiple skeins of yarn in the same project from an indie dyer, check it out.

After wearing the decision to not become a Creator on Patreon, I'm good with it and I'm not going to do it.  I am supporting a couple of makers there and love the work they are doing.

A few weeks ago Nijah and I started a new project, called Instead of Estes.  It was a special project of yarn from Six and Seven Fiber, the new Monet minis using the Sea Glass pattern, that we decided to do together since we couldn't go to Estes for the Estes Park Wool Market this year.

Nijah finished hers and mailed it off to a friend in Oregon before I caught a picture of it.  She only used 5 of the 10 mini skeins of yarn.  The pattern calls for 800 yards of yarn and she only used about half that, following the directions as written.  It came out full size when blocked.  I was about to change to my 4th color and was going to have the same problem.

 
I bought these 10 colors to used together and I wanted to use them all.  So I ripped out the shawl.  I rewound the yarn back into balls and have put it away for now.  I am planning to do the Longma's Cowl fading the colors.  The way Rachel put them in the package.  I know it's more yarn than called for but I think I can add some repeats in both directions and have a couple of styling options.  Keep an eye here to find out.

This past week in the town that I consider my hometown, Aurora, Colorado, there was a protest to get justice for Elijah McClain.  I learned just a couple of days ago that Elijah was killed by Aurora PD and an EMT literally just stones throw from my apartment building.

I have been driving past this memorial for months.  It was just the cross and a string of lights until the last week or so.  I drive by this memorial when I go to visit my Mom each week.  This is Elijah's memorial.  Tomorrow my daughter and I will go place items we've made there and pray for the friends and family who are grieving and want justice.


The world has/is changing in many ways, yet I still see many that stay the same, selfish people, racism that my Mom taught my sister and I so vehemently is wrong.  Which was a difficult task with parents born and raised in the south in the 1940s who were part of our daily life.  I miss Aurora very much.  The diversity and the culture.  Lord willing I'll get back there someday, but if not I am so very thankful that I can visit and interact with so many different people.

The Lord Jesus made us all, has a purpose for us all and loves us all.

Will the true followers of Jesus please stand up!  Stand with those who are being hurt and help them.

Until next time...

Happy making. 


No comments:

Post a Comment