Monday, June 15, 2020

Another Quarantine KAL

During quarantine I worked on 5 different KALs.  Last week I told you about finding and dyeing the yarn for the GG Orange Love KAL.  This week I'm going to share with you a cowl KAL.

The KAL was hosted by Leading Men Fiber Arts from Clinton, IL.  The pattern used for the KAL was Cohenside Cowl from Shanalines Designs.  I had already bought this pattern to make a cowl for each member of my family.  I love her  designs, fun and practical.  The patterns are well written and fun to knit as well.  My husband Carl and my oldest Uriah had already picked out their yarn, which was coming from Leading Men Fiber arts!  Yea!  I get to participate in KAL using yarn and a pattern I already had and still qualify for the prize.  I cast on Uriah's first.  I chose the yarn base for them, Soliloquy, 100% BFL.  Uriah chose the color black walnut.  I worked his exactly as the pattern stated without any changes.  He likes it and I think it turned out nicely too.


Carl chose Man of Mystery and wanted his to be taller, so I added enough stitches to do another repeat of the pattern.  He wanted it to be the same distance around as Uriah's though so I worked the same number of repeats for his.


I started and finished both of these pieces in April and entered them for the prize in the KAL.  I won!  The prize was a gift card to Leading Men Fiber Arts.  I used it to buy Nijah, my daughter, who is also a fiber artist, and I Yarn Pouches.  She wears hers everywhere with a sock kept in it.

Bind off in the middle of a row or round.
I recently uploaded a video to YouTube on how to bind off in the middle of a row or round.  This is something that to me could benefit from having it explained here in words and pictures as well.

Binding off in the middle of a row or round is done for many different reasons, most often for placement of sleeves.  It can also be done for shaping of a bag or stuffed animal.

These pictures, just like the video show binding off in a row.

Work across the number of stitches indicated by the pattern.  Here is an example.

Your piece has 21 stitches across.  The directions now read as follows.  K 3, BO 5, K 5, BO 5, K 3.  Here's what that would look like in pictures.


I have knit the first 3 stitches as directed.
Next is to bind off  the next 5 stitches.  Before I learned what I was doing wrong I would knit the next stitch and then bind off a stitch.  My stitch count was always wrong and I would just fudge it.  Here is what I should have been doing.  Knit the next stitch, yes...





And the next one too.  I now have 5 knit stitches on the needle.


Now take stitch number 4 over stitch number 5 for binding off.  That leaves you with your first 3 stitches and one bound off.


I continued binding off the 5 stitches, counting each one that was slipped over and off the needle.  When I reached 5, the next step is to K 5.  This stitch hanging out where I finished the 5 bind off stitches, is stitch number 5 of my K 5.


Then I knit the next 4 stitches.


Then bind off the next 5 stitches as before.
 

 Remember that last bound off stitch is the first stitch of the next section.


Then finish with the last 2 knit stitches.

That is how to bind off in the middle of a row or round.  If you have questions please let me know.  Here is a link to my YouTube channel, look for Bind off in Row to see this in action.  The video is shot using my left hand because I am a mirror knitter.

I am still working on recording classes.  Not sure where they will go from there.  I'm having second thoughts about Patreon, I'll let you know next week.

Tomorrow I will release a new YouTube on short rows.  I learned a few tricks recently that I'd like to share with you.

Black Lives Matter

Until next time...

Happy Making!

No comments:

Post a Comment