Friday, January 31, 2020

Take Note

I had this already to go out and then I got sick and so here it is almost a week later than planned, please keep that in mind as you read. All this happened earlier than stated.

This last week I had to make a decision about a project. Am I going to save it or not? I really love the yarn. The Fibre Co. Road to China Lace yarn is amazing.  I am using it in this project. I took this project with me when I went to Utah in October for Stitches Salt Lake City. I hadn't worked on it for a really long time. When I first began this project I had to sit and work some stitches out knitting Portuguese style and then figure out how to knit them left handed and get the same look on both pieces. It took a while. I have some notes and took some pictures too. It wasn't enough however. This project is the MKAL with Franklin Habit from February 2019. I was doing okay keeping up when we first started. I got behind when I started test knitting and then it just got put away. I took it with me UT because it was small and would mean plenty of knitting to be done.
When I pulled it out in UT here is what was in the bag.

I went to my Ravelry page and found these photos.

 
For some reason I didn't think to redownload the pattern and look at it. I thought I was doing okay. After about 5 rows of struggling more than I remembered and it not looking right, it was put back in the bag with a note to work on it when I return to Colorado.
I have pulled it out a couple of time since returning from that festival. I even write about the work it is going to take to redo the stitches in a recent post on when to keep a UFO or WIP.
I pulled it out again this last week and discovered that it had 2 life lines in it. Why I have no idea. I decided with that I could reverse engineer the information I needed to make the stitches correctly. I made notes as I went. 

Something still just wasn't making sense with what I had written on that little card. I finally decided to go back and check the pattern and see what I was missing. Guess what, guess how simple and easy it was... I was trying to work row 9 as the right side and row 10 as the wrong side, as patterns are usually set up, but not always. Well this is a not always pattern and the right side is row 10! I ripped back to the 1st life line, put the needle in and knitted. The notes now make sense! I think I can do it and finish this luxurious piece!
If I had made a small simple note somewhere that the right side was row 10, I would be so much farther on this piece than what I am. There are more notes now and I made a note in the app I use to count rows on my phone as well.

That app is call Knit Tink and is available on Google play.

I finished my Victory Sweater test knit for Jill Karina and gave it to Mom on Friday. She is very pleased with it and said she would wear it to work the next day.


I have also finished a cowl test knit for Annie Lupton call Elephant Promenade cowl. This will be for me. I used Nature Spun yarn from The Brown Sheep Company in charcoal and grape harvest.

I received my first shipment from Harrisville Designs this week. I am really excited about this company. I'm not sure how they have missed my radar for so long to begin with. In very quick succession I heard about them from multiple places and got more excited each time. Then I had a really neat opportunity to use some of their yarn for an up coming secret test knit. Here are the colors I have chosen.

I will be swatching tomorrow and casting on over the weekend. Because it is a secret I can't tell you anything more until September. Sorry!

Last night I started Elephant Promenade hat for Mom in Knit Picks Stroll using black and pucker.

I finally finished my gauntlets, again and with a yarn that is still available.  Deep Dyed Yarns Luna Lace. You can buy the pattern here and it will be 25% off using code BLOG until the end of February 2020.
 
Started a page for the sweater design project here.

Next week I will show pictures of that new top down sweater.  I haven't made too much head way on it and so wasn't ready to share it this week.

Happy Making Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment