Monday, January 7, 2019

Happy Belated New Year, a look back at 2018

I apologize for my tardiness, this was supposed to be out last week, but I got sick again and couldn't leave the house.

Well here we are, my last post of 2018. I can hardly believe it, the time went by so quickly. I had to go back to my Ravelry projects to see what I worked on early this year.
I had a lot, a lot of UFOs from many, many years past and I decided it was time to tackle them. At least make some decisions on whether to rip, save or give away as is.


My back to school mittens that I started back in 2011, I decided to stop where I was. I had completed one mitten and made a thumb, that's all. The thumb I ripped and put the yarn into the appropriate box and the completed mitten I decided would be useful in my education demos, so in to the ed box it went.

I did this with each item I came across in a bag and most were ripped. I didn't give anything away in the UFO state. I still have many started and unfinished ideas around in all stages, thus goes the work of designer I suppose.

The projects I worked early in 2018 were Spring Leaves Returns, this was prep for a class I taught at the Estes Park Wool Market in June. 

Glory and I also started our Make It With Wool projects in March. This sweater and my Brioche shawl took most of my time at home. On the road I was working on socks and spindle spinning.

The one thing I really wanted to focus on in 2018 was time management and my social media. It took me until almost August to really get a handle on this and know how to apply it and use it, but I love it! Now that Christmas projects are finished I can't wait for the children to go back to school so that I can get into my normal routine again.

In my "schedule" I made time for each craft I wanted to do, the things I "have" to do and also time for learning and Spiritual growth as well. As you can see from the picture below of my one of my schedules, I switch activities often, this helps me to stay focused while on each activity, even if I'm at a place in it that is not as much fun, like the heel of a sock or the final section of tech editing.


I have 3 processing sessions each day. No not for processing stress and life, but for processing fiber. I am currently processing my lamb fleece, so that I can spin it for 2019 Make It WIth Wool. This helps my hands not get as tired and I don't get as board or distracted in the short interval. I have accomplished more in the last 4-5 months than I have in the last 2 years. If you are going to have a "schedule" you have to remember to be flexible and that it is only a guideline to keep you focused and get more done, NOT to cause stress.

Something I try to spend time on each week is weaving and I had fun with that this year. I wove only one thing, a large scarf. It was from some of my own hand spun and I learned so much. I talk more about that here.

My favorite finished project this year was this jacket.  I put a tassel on the hood a couple of weeks ago and I love this jacket.  This winter has been very mild for Colorado and I have gotten to wear it often.



The oldest UFO that I finished this year was a quilt that I pieced the top of back in 2010 or 11...  After we moved to the middle of nowhere I pieced the back and sewed the strips for the binding.  I've had the batting for about 2 years, it all just sat.  I decided to finish it for Christmas for my DH.  He loved it.  It is a log cabin quilt.  I tied it and only quilted the last border.  It is a queen size.
 

For my birthday I received a crocheted potholder from my best friend's mom. She is always talking about how she wished she could crochet better. When I saw the pot holder I started to laugh. She looked at me. I stopped laughing and explained that though I have tried and tried this is one pattern I have not yet been successful with. She sent me the link to the website she used. My friend helped me to download it to my phone so I could work at home. A few days later I took out my cotton yarn, my hook and my phone. An hour later here is what I had!

I'm so excited now that I can do this. I plan to work more of these.

Another thing that I did for much of 2018 was to have a project that I could work on a little a couple times a week and have a finished object by the end of the week. For 2018 it was dishcloths. I finished more than there are in this picture.

I gave them all away as Christmas presents. For 2019 I have decided to make baby socks and am challenging all of you to do so as well. I have broken to working of a sock into 4 pieces and am working 2 socks at the same time from 2 different balls of yarn and on 2 different sets of needles. Here is a picture of the first pair. Below that you'll find all the info for my baby sock challenge.
Azariah's Baby Sock Challenge 2019
Socks are fun and can be as simple and mindless or as detailed and challenging as you would like.  I want to encourage everyone to at least try socks and so I have decided to have some fun and challenge you guys.

#azariahsbabysockchallenge
#azariahsbabysockchallenge(month abbreviation)

Make a pair of baby socks, socks that will fit someone a year old or younger, to give away, not sell.  Follow me on IG and tag your entry with the 2 # tags above.  The second one will change each month and that is how I will draw for prizes.  I will draw for the winner, using a random number generator on the 1st day of the following month and post the winning pair.  All entrants are subject to my discrection.  All rules of tagging and size must be followed to quailify.  Any baby sock pattern may be used for this challenge, tag the designer so they get credit too.  Prizes will be shipped any where in the world and will be different each month, but sock related.

The pattern I am using is this one, it is on page 39, worked on 2 circular needles and closed with Kitchner stitch.  I work it on 4 double pointed needles.  I will post my changes for that next week. This pattern takes about 30 yards of fingering or sock weight yarn and I am using US size 3 needles.

The final thing that I'll talk about that I did in 2018 was to always have a pair of idiot socks going. My birthday in 2017 I received a small backpack, again from my BFF's mom. I put a rivet in the side a run my yarn through it and the sock is in the outside pouch. I finished many pairs this way, always had something to do to kill time or stay focused during church. I will continue this but not always in my backpack sometimes in my rainbow colored alpaca bag from Slipped Stitch Studios. Never without needlework.


I thank you for taking the time to read what I write. I hope that it gives you some inspiration and ideas. Happy handwork and Happy New Year! May the Lord bless you in 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment